There were 40,125 car crashes with injury in Louisiana during 2020. There were 754 fatal accidents in Louisiana during 2020.
Steps to Follow if You Are Involved in an Auto Accident
Be sure to follow these steps to help protect yourself after the accident:
1. Notify the police in order to file a detailed report.
2. Gather all contact information, driver’s license number and insurance information from the other driver.
3. If possible, take photos of the scene.
4. Never admit fault at the scene of an accident since it can be legally held against you.
5. Never let an insurance adjuster record your voice or obtain a written statement from you.
6. Obtain the names and addresses of all witnesses.
While auto accidents are normally dealt with through insurance companies, some may result in personal injury or property damage, and need to be handled by an experienced and qualified attorney.
Medical Treatment After an Auto Accident
It is important to get medical treatment right after an auto accident if you believe you are injured. Claims for personal injuries may be contingent on medical records linking the auto accident to the injuries received. The longer you wait to get treated, the more difficult it may be to prove the connection.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a serious auto accident, the best way to protect yourself is to speak with a qualified attorney about your legal rights and options.
While law suits are not always necessary after an accident, they are often one of the only recourses available to fairly compensate a person who has been seriously injured in an auto accident.
For more information on what you should do after an auto accident, click here.